Joomla Plugin to Allow Module Rendering Dynamically

Wow, this might be a rare subject. Do you actually understand what I mean by this title? “Plugin to Allow Module Rendering Dynamically” ??

A lot of people in the CMS world deal with life on a very manual basis. If you are a webmaster of a website, you must manage and deal with updating a website by each content piece that exists. Every time that you need to change the word “phillihp”, you must go to each page and update it. What many companies and CMS systems are trying to encourage, is the ability to structure your content dynamically. But this concept is not so easily recognized.

How far can you fragment your content and your data to ensure the ultimate in abstraction within your content?

The truth is, the cost of fragmentation and abstraction of data compared to writing pure content, meets the world of training and educating content authors in programmatic worlds where it simply is easier and more inexpensive to find someone who can make all the manual changes, rather than create the system the right way, abstract, and perfect, to where the content is managed on a much higher level. I have seen many companies try to go this route, but the complete dynamics simply do not exist for it yet.

Although it is not there completely, steps are the best way to progress. Steps are the best way to allow growth and efficiencies. And these steps are easily available in the world today. In WordPress you can inject hooks into your articles and pages to reformat and create new code. In the CMS system SiteExecutive (ColdFusion) you can use the FCK editor to do an object include of another element that you created. In Ruby on Rails you can render a view element with a call of the module / component / helper.

Today, I extended that to Joomla. Today my task was to give Joomla the ability to add content, by referencing a module dynamically, to establish a relationship that could never break. This was a core addition to Joomla that allows any articles to reference a module and send parameters. In this case, we wanted to reference a title of a course, very simple, so I built the module to do the SQL call and then build the core parameter based content call. Easy.

You can find the project file here: Content – Load Module with Params

About Phillihp Harmon

I'm Phillihp. My name can be spelled the same way forwards and backwards, so can my posts... if you wish. I'm out here exploring, learning, and sharing what I find. This is more for fun and personal growth, I aim to be as consistent as possible, so check back daily!
This entry was posted in ***, DIY, Internet, PHP, Rants. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>